COMMON THERAPIES ADOPTED FOR THE REJUVENATION
1. Treatment For Chronic Headaches, Insomnia, Mental Tension And Cases Of Hysteria, Hallucination And Insanity.
A continuous stream of Herbal oils, Medicated Milk or Buttermilk and decoctions are poured on the forehead/whole body in a special manner, while the patient lies supine on a Wooden bed with the neck and head placed in a comfortable position. Variations include:
Oordhwanga Dhara :
Good for diseases of the eyes, ears and skin.
Takra Dhara :
For those suffering from memory loss, severe headache or insanity.
Sarvanga Dhara :
For both head and body.
2. Snehapanam : Treatment To Alleviate Osteoarthritis, Leukaemia Etc
Medicated ghee is given internally in a gradually increased quantity for specific periods.
3. Pizhichil : Treatment For Spondilosis, Rheumatic Diseases Like Arthritis, Paralysis, Hemiplegia, Nervous Disorders:
Lukewarm herbal oil is applied with fresh linen all over the body by trained masseurs in a rhythmic manner for a period of 1 to 1 ½ hours daily for 7 to 21 days.
4. Udvarthanam : Treatment For Diseases Like Hemiploegia, Paralysis, Obesity And Certain Rheumatic Ailments:
It is the therapeutic massage in which the entire body is massaged with herbal powders.
5. Marma Chikitsa : Treatment For Musculoskeletal Ailments Due To Trauma Or Accidents:
Treatment that works on the extremely sensitive vital points of the body (the 107 'marmas').
6. Nasyam : Treatment For Nasal Ailments :
Inhalation of medicated herbal preparations, Decoction Oils, Ghee etc. to eliminate the morbid factors from the head and neck area.
This also includes gently massaging the body from the shoulders, upward. It is a therapy for Sinusitis, Migraine and Chronic Cold.
7. Karnapooranam : Treatment For Ear Ailments:
Medicated oils are applied to the ear for 5 to 10 minutes daily to clean as well as treat specific ailments.
8. Tharpanam: Treatment For Preventing Cataract And Strengthening Vision:
A treatment for the eyes effective in preventing cararact and strengthening the optic nerve.
9. Njavarakizhi : Treatment For Wasting Of Muscles, All Types Of Rheumatism, Sports Injuries, Pain In The Joints, Emaciation Of The Body And Certain Kinds Of Skin Diseases:
After the application of medicated oil, the entire body is made to perspire by the external application of medicated 'Njavara' rice packs, in the form of boluses tied in muslin bags. Njavarakizhi revitalises the skin.
10. Sirovasti : Treatment For Dryness Of Nostrils, Mouth And Throat, Severe Headaches, Facial Paralysis And Burning Sensation In The Head:
Lukewarm herbal oils are poured into a leather cap fitted on the head for specific durations as per physician's recommendation.
11. Elakizhi : Treatment For Revitalising The Skin Tone ('Patraswedam'):
The entire body is massaged with herbal poultices prepared with various herbs and powder dipped in warm medicated oils and increases perspiration, which in turn helps circulation.
This promotes the skin eliminate wastes and revitalises the skin, thereby improving skin tone.